(Serves 8 to 10)
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1/2 pound bread, sliced thick and torn into large chunks
- Butter and brown sugar for preparing the pan
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- Combine the milk, cream, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and pumpkin puree in a large bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Add the bread and stir to be sure all the bread is evenly moistened.
- Cover and let soak at least 4 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees and grease a 9’x5′ loaf pan with butter and dust with brown sugar.
- Ladle the pudding mixture into the loaf pan or ramekins and bake until set, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Whip the cream and sugar together until it forms soft mounds.
- Cut the pudding in slices, top with a dollop of whipped cream, and serve warm.