- 2 lb. sheep’s milk ricotta
- 100 grams “double zero” flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 egg yolk
- flour for dusting
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- garlic clove
- 1 qt. heavy cream
- 1.5 qt. caciocavallo cheese, shredded (provolone works too)
- beechnut mushrooms
- toasted breadcrumbs
- vincotto, for drizzling
- truffle oil, for drizzling
- Drain ricotta in a cheesecloth to remove excess water. Put drained ricotta in a stand mixer at medium speed with yolk, flour & salt. Mix until fully incorporated, about 3 or 4 minutes, be sure no strands of egg yolk remain. Dust a little flour on surface & dust a little flour on top, roll into one log. Using a bench scrape, cut manageable piece & roll back & forth. Cut into ¾ inch worm & cut into one inch pillows. Freeze, keep frozen until ready to cook.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the frozen gnocchi, stir gently to prevent them from sticking together. Cook until gnocchi rise to the surface, about 3-4 minutes.
- To make the SAUCE: Combine cheese & cream in saucepan & melt on very low heat. Once melted strain & press out with ladle to remove graininess. In a pan, with 1tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, add crushed garlic clove & then sear beechnut mushrooms. Remove from heat. Drain the olive oil, remove garlic & add fonduta then toss in gnocchi & add freshly ground pepper, top with vincotto, a drizzle of truffle oil & sprinkle with toasted breadcrumbs.