My answer to the bad calorie laden dip selections, this is light, low in calories, & perfectly complements most cheeses.
(Makes enough to spread on 24 toasted baguette slices)
- 2 ripe Bosc, Bartlett, or Comice pears, peeled, quartered, cored, & coarsely chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fruity white wine, such as Riesling
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, or to taste
- 12 ounces total of a combination of soft pecorino cheese, Gorgonzola, & ricotta salata, sliced in wedges
- Toasted baguette slices or large crackers
- Artisanal honey, for drizzling, with honeycomb
- Combine the pears, cinnamon, wine, & sugar in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a gentle simmer & cook about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the pears are almost falling apart. Let warm to room temperature .
- Transfer the compote to a food processor & pulse until slightly chunky. (The compote may be covered & refrigerated for up to 8 hours; bring to room temperature before serving).
- Transfer the compote to a serving bowl & place on a large platter. Arrange the cheese and baguette slices around the compote & put a bit of honeycomb on each slice of cheese.
- Guests can layer a slice of cheese & a dollop of compote on the baguette slices.