I’m jumping on the #MeatlessMonday bandwagon! Well, sort of… I made a healthy vegetarian pumpkin soup with apples and carrots as an appetizer.
The pumpkin soup was followed by roasted broccoli that I served with rotisserie chicken and rosemary potatoes. I may have cheated a little with the rotisserie chicken, but I definitely made veggies the star of the meal!
Both recipes are easy and satisfying- where most of the cook time was spent snacking on marshmallows with the Little Man. He was more than happy to supervise the overall cooking process and added some very insightful tips. (“more cookies!” “more chips!”)
Check out the recipes and be sure to leave your comments below!
Homemade Pumpkin Soup
- 2 cans of organic pumpkin puree
- 1 large apple (or 2 small)
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 yellow onion
- 8 cups low sodium, vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 10-12 sage leaves
- 1 star anise
- 1 tbsp peppercorns
- 2 tbsp cinnamon sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- cheese cloth
- freshly ground salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and dice the apples, carrots, and onions. Add butter and olive oil to a large soup pot and sauté vegetables on a low simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add low-sodium broth, pumpkin puree, and freshly ground salt and pepper to taste. Bring to boil for 20 minutes.
- Finely chop 4 sage leaves and add to the soup with grated nutmeg and cinnamon sugar. Wrap 7 or 8 whole sage leaves in a cheese cloth with pepper corns and star anise and drop into the soup. Allow to simmer for at least 1 hour.
- 1/2 hour into the simmer, take out spice bag and blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
- When you’re ready to eat, taste the pumpkin soup and add salt and pepper if necessary. Serve hot with crusty Italian bread.
Oven Roasted Broccoli
- 1 head of fresh broccoli cut into florets (about 3 cups)
- drizzle of olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- shaved parmesan to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 250. Wash and cut 1 head of fresh broccoli into bite sized florets and place on a baking sheet.
- Toss in olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste and add a sprinkle of shaved parmesan.
- Roast in the oven at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until broccoli is fork tender and slightly browned. Serve immediately.