(makes 12 cupcakes)
- 1 cup &+ 1 tbsp cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 oz sour cream
VANILLA BUTTER CREAM:
- 5 egg whites
- 1 ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 4 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup toasted, shredded coconut
- 1 cup mini chocolate eggs or jellybeans. I used coconut M&Ms!
FOR THE CUPCAKES:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter, sugar, baking powder and salt together using a medium speed until light and fluffy.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and vanilla. Slowly pour the mixture in, taking care to scrape the sides of the bowl between each addition.
- Add one third of the flour into the mixer and mix on medium speed until incorporated. Add one third of the sour cream. Repeat with remaining flour and sour cream.
- Portion batter into 12 cupcake liners. Bake for 15 minutes, or until a tester inserted into the cake comes out clean.
FOR THE BUTTER CREAM:
- Set a pot of simmering water over medium heat to make a bain marie. In your mixer, whisk together the egg whites and sugar. Continue to whisk as you set it atop the simmering water. Remove when the mixture reaches 120 degrees (F) and the sugar has dissolved.
- Using your stand mixer fitted with the whip attachment, whip the mixture on high speed until cool and mixture has tripled in volume. Add vanilla.
- Slowly add butter one tablespoon at a time. Continue to whip until the buttercream is smooth. If it looks runny, continue to whip and it will come together after a few minutes.
- Apply a generous dollop of buttercream to each cupcake and create a well in the center.
- Roll (or sprinkle) with the coated coconut to create a “nest” and place a few mini chocolate eggs in the center.