FOR FRENCH TOAST:
- Butter, for greasing
- Challah bread
- 8 whole eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup whipping (heavy) cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of lemon extract
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 stick cold butter, cut into pieces, plus more for serving
- 3 cups of strawberries
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 sugar
- 1/4 water
- Grease the baking pan with butter. Cut challah in 1 inch slices and evenly distribute in the pan.
- Crack the eggs in a big bowl. Whisk together with milk, cream, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and lemon. Pour evenly over the bread. Cover the pan tightly and store in the fridge until needed (min I hour).
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Remove from fridge and sprinkle with cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, and pieces of cut butter. Bake for 45 minutes for a softer, more bread pudding texture or 1 hour or more for a firmer, crisper texture.
- For the strawberry compote, add rinsed, chopped, and hulled out strawberries, to sugar, lemon zest, and boiling water. Stir and simmer until liquid thickens. Serve chunky or use an immersion blender to smooth into a puree.
- Drizzle strawberry compote and warm maple syrup over french toast to serve.